A few days ago I posted about my meltdown. I think everyone should go through the experience of working out with a trainer. My self talk usually gets me into a place of self sabotage. I felt like it wasn't fair. But in reality, we are a product of our own choices, whether we admit that or not. And my trainer, while understanding, didn't let me get away with thinking that would eventually lead to quitting.
What I have found is that over the course of my life, everyday choices I have made have landed me here. "Here" is mostly super lucky and very blessed. And while, yes, I might sometimes complain that it's so much work, and it isn't fair, I have to suck it up because my status is a product of the choices I have made up to now.
I don't know about you, but the every day things are important, but not always significant to me. Each day we are faced with so many choices from the moment we are semi conscious.
- Do I hit the snooze button or get up?
- Do I make breakfast or just grab a pop tart?
- Do I wake the kids now or let them sleep another 5 minutes?
- Do i have time to make coffee before my morning meeting?
The every day me is moody, and busy. I sometimes work too much and feel guilt for not spending enough 1 on 1 time with the kids. The everyday me has to plan my meals or Ill grab something unhealthy on the road. The everyday me juggles homework, soccer practice, volleyball practice, housekeeping, work, working out, etc. My life is sometimes crazy and the everyday stuff just whizzes by. I didn't fully realize the implications of the every day choices until recently. It's not like 1 extra muffin matters right? But in reality it does to me -- and i used to rationalize that it didn't. 1 muffin means the half hour I spent running was wasted. Or the brutal hour with my personal trainer was for nothing if I drive through and have a bean and cheese taco and a coke for lunch from Taco Cabana.
These choices also matter to my kids. I have two girls, aged 8 (soon to be 9) and 10. I know I'm an example to them and I know these little things matter, but the degree to which they matter is sometimes shocking. On Sunday, we went to lunch and because I have been talking to them about how these everyday choices matter, they both ordered water and piled on veggies without me having to suggest a healthier option. They've been choosing fruit or veggies as their snacks instead of crackers and pretzels. Also, I have had to stop and slow down and really make time for things I used to not prioritize. This has dramatically impacted them as well.
I have found that the everyday decisions I make will add up to something. It's up to me to decide if they add up to something amazing.

No comments:
Post a Comment